Saturday 29 September 2012

If I Won The Lotto, I Wouldn't Buy A Supercar

You always hear it go something like this, " if I won the lottery, I would buy a Lamborghini." The thing is, I have thought about this scenario a hundred times in my head and have come to this conclusion; I wouldn't buy a supercar, even if I won a million bucks.

I think it's mostly because I like the "idea" of owning a supercar, rather than owning an actual supercar. My list of things to get would definitely include a car though. It just wouldn't be a Ferrari, Lamborghini or anything with "600 horsepower and a $600,000 price tag." It would be something a little bit more sensible. It would be an M3. At over $100,000 NZ, the new V8 BMW M3 isn't what you would call "cheap". Unless you're a millionaire that is. If you're a millionaire, than $100,000 on a car probably seems pretty reasonable. So why would I buy a BMW, when I could buy something far more exclusive and expensive?

Well, for starters a million dollars isn't actually that much. There is a Lamborghini Aventador listed on TradeMe at the moment for $625,000 NZ. If you're reading this and you don't live in New Zealand, TradeMe is pretty much New Zealand's Ebay. Say you actually brought the Aventador. That's more than half of your lottery money spent. On a car that would most likely spend most of its time in your garage. With you checking up on it in the middle of the night to make sure your neighbor didn't jump over the fence to steal your precious supercar. Mind you, you'd probably hear them driving off in a Lamborghini, but that's besides the point. The point is, if you owned a car like that, you would constantly worry about it. I know I would. I wouldn't take it anywhere, because I'd be too damn scared someone would crash into it, spit on it, kick it, or take a giant turd on it when I leave it unattended for more than two minutes.

Also, I live in Auckland, New Zealand. Not only are a lot of the drivers here, what's the word for it, awful, the speed laws here are atrocious. Besides, what good is a car that can do "just a little over 230mph", when most of the time, you will be stuck in traffic? I would literally never get anywhere near the limit of of my supercar's capabilities. The BMW M3 seems far more usable. For starters, it's understated, so you won't have to worry about it when you park it to buy a tall-mocha-with-cream from Starbucks. Because it wasn't designed to go as fast as it possibly could around the Nurbugring, it will go over speed bumps and when it gets a little nippy, provide warm air to your face with its air conditioning. See, when you spend $100,000 dollars on a car, I'd like to think that you'd want to use it. To use it, it has to be usable. There's no point taking your supercar on a road trip, if, when you arrive  you're going to be all sweaty, uncomfortable and with a broken back.

That's why I wouldn't buy a supercar even if I won the lottery. I'd buy a nice car I could use every day and use the rest of the money to buy other nice things. The BMW M3 is the car I would buy, because it has everything I am looking for in a car. Great performance when you need it and the ability to be a "normal car" when you don't. I personally think that in silver or white, it's a great looking car, and in black, it's sex on wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment